:: My beautiful disasterpiece ::
Christmas newsletter anyone?
:: welcome to my ranting grounds | express yourself ::
...blow me a kiss, I'll be happy the rest of my life...
...friends and such...
:: Amy
:: Bolt
:: Brucie
:: Cals
:: Dang
:: Dr. O
:: Eliot
:: Erica
:: Hubbylicious
:: Jonathan
:: Jo
:: Joseph
:: Josh
:: Justinian
:: Kate
:: Kelly
:: Lynn
:: Maria
:: Mulrich
:: Natalie
:: Nathanael
:: Neno
:: Samantha
:: Stina
:: Yellow
:: Zippy
...falling down the stairs on purpose...
:: 20 Questions
:: Love Calculator
:: I Love Egg
:: Pathetic Geek Stories
:: Stress Relief Aquarium
:: Strong Bad E-mails
...like the darkness between fireflies...
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
July 2003
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
June 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007

:: Saturday, November 16, 2002 ::

"Should I be rich, or poor and scattered in my dreams?" (Jennifer Knapp)

Mis apologĂ­as for my recent dearth of blog updating. It's been an interesting week (more on that to come soon).
Stu asked: "whats your biggest regret?"
It was early Sunday morning, an undetermined number of years ago. I remember the brightness of unfiltered morning, so brilliant that the pavement gleamed, and misfortune was unthinkable. Sunshine is the master of deadly irony.
We came upon the wreck mere seconds after it had occured; the screech of metal and horrified reflexes was still on the air. A middle-aged man lay on the ground next to his twisted motorcycle. A hastily-parked Chevy pick-up and ominous marks on the guard rail showed plainly enough what had happened.
Dad ran over to see how he could help; I stayed in the car watching every new scene of an unrehearsed drama. Cars slowing down, hesitating... good people on their way to church not wanting to risk lateness for the sake of charity... others stopping, some to stand in the background with helpless curiosity, some to offer cell-phones and first-aid experience... the ambulance screaming, red and blue lights in slow motion like an underwater dream... the man's stomach swelling with internal wounds, his purple underwear when they cut off his clothing, his wife alternating between shock and hysteria. I had never seen someone die before.
All onlookers were ordered away except for my dad, the minister. The sunshine glinted off of changed faces. One person stayed behind--a college-aged girl with blonde hair and stylish clothes, standing alone, hiding her face in two hands that would never be big enough. I heard the whisper clearly: "Go to her." But I didn't. I sat in the car, transfixed by every facet of what I was seeing, simultaneously drawn in and excluded by an intricate dance of emotions.
I later found out that the girl owned the Chevy. She had been on her way to work and changed lanes without looking. She watched that man die too, peeking through fingers that would forever carry the weight of homicide.
And I stayed in the car.

Labels:


:: Bethany Bassett - 2:08 PM :: + ::

This page is powered by 

Blogger. Isn't yours?