:: My beautiful disasterpiece ::
Christmas newsletter anyone?
:: welcome to my ranting grounds | express yourself ::
...blow me a kiss, I'll be happy the rest of my life...
...friends and such...
:: Amy
:: Bolt
:: Brucie
:: Cals
:: Dang
:: Dr. O
:: Eliot
:: Erica
:: Hubbylicious
:: Jonathan
:: Jo
:: Joseph
:: Josh
:: Justinian
:: Kate
:: Kelly
:: Lynn
:: Maria
:: Mulrich
:: Natalie
:: Nathanael
:: Neno
:: Samantha
:: Stina
:: Yellow
:: Zippy
...falling down the stairs on purpose...
:: 20 Questions
:: Love Calculator
:: I Love Egg
:: Pathetic Geek Stories
:: Stress Relief Aquarium
:: Strong Bad E-mails
...like the darkness between fireflies...
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
July 2003
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
June 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007

:: Sunday, September 15, 2002 ::

"In the blur of serenity, where did everything get lost?" (Nine Inch Nails)

I visited a new church today... *sigh*
Pastor asking in a solemn voice, "Is the kingdom of God better because you're in it? What kind of witness are you being? Which Jesus are you following -- the real one, or the one you've created?" I get the impression we are all supposed to feel ashamed, flooded with conviction over our requisite lukewarmness. Pastor continues, "I know these are tough questions, but Jesus wouldn't ask you any easier ones. Are you enhancing the kingdom or inhibiting it? Take a look inside, and I think you'll find the answer. ::shakes head sadly::"
So now I feel guilty for not feeling guilty. I know how deeply I love God. I know how I try to live every moment for Him. I know I haven't reached the nirvana-land of perfect Christianity, but I'm doing my best. Should I still feel convicted when the pastor "tsk-tsk"s?
One thing that bothers me is the way so many pastors preach time and time again on how you can't be lukewarm, how you can't give God only part of yourself, how you should have led more people to Christ, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Apologies for the psych talk, but I think preaching about that keeps the congregation at that place of uncertainty.
What if pastors quit making people doubt their own faith? What if sermons were meat rather than skim milk? What if people were learning about God's heart rather than their own failings? What if they were discovering ways to live their beliefs rather than wallowing in doubtful guilt? What if pastors would lead their congregations somewhere rather than pinning them into weak Christianity?
So many church members, looking up at the Reverend General with gullibility in their eyes, thinking, "Oh yes, I must be lukewarm, oh yes, I guess I probably made up my own Jesus too. God, help me not do that anymore." At least not until the next sermon.
Focusing on the negative is the worst way to reach the positive. Looking down never helped anyone climb upward. Why should we search inside ourselves for the solution to things far beyond us? Why should we focus on ourselves, our actions, our shortcomings? How will that help us live for God? Hebrews 12 says something, if I recall, about "looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith."
Please, pastors, don't try to keep us as infant Christians, so convinced of our inabilities that we can't grow. Help us focus instead on God, pushing onward, refusing to look back and wallow in the ways we didn't measure up.
Oh heavens. Can I not just listen to a sermon without arguing?

Labels:


:: Bethany Bassett - 2:39 PM :: + ::

This page is powered by 

Blogger. Isn't yours?